Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Salisbury steak is a totally scrumptious way to transform the humble ground beef / mince into something amazing! The onion grating / soaking breadcrumbs will make your patties extra tasty and tender, and the Mushroom Gravy is made extra delicious by cooking the Salisbury Steaks IN the gravy!
- 1/2 onion (white, brown or yellow)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or 1/3 cup ordinary breadcrumbs)
- 1 lb/500g ground beef (i.e. beef mince)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 beef bouillon cube , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 5 oz/150g mushrooms , sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowl. Use a box grater and grate the onion over the breadcrumbs. Mix with fingers, leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Add remaining Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined - don't over mix.
- Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around 3/4" / 1 2/3 cm thick.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside). Remove onto plate.
- If skillet is looking dry, add a touch more oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2 minute until onions are a bit translucent.
- Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until golden.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in beef broth, stirring as you go. Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients.
- Add steaks along with the juices on the plate. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened, stirring occasionally around the steaks. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add more water.
- Remove steaks onto a plate. Taste gravy and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salisbury steaks topped with the mushroom gravy - over mashed potato is ideal! Sprinkle with a bit of parsley if desired.
- Recipe originally published December 2015. Cooking steps streamlined to make it more efficient. Ingredients have remained the same. If you are determined to continue using the original recipe, here is a PDF version.
- Nutrition below is per serving for the Salisbury Steak + gravy, no sides.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.The Post Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy appeared first on recipetineats.com.