Banana Cream Pie
100% from scratch, banana cream pie. Making homemade cream pie is easier than you may think! Creamy banana filling, homemade whipped cream and fresh banana slices in the pie and on top.
Author: Julie Clark from tastes of lizzyt.
- 9" pre-baked pie crust
- 3 large bananas, sliced (two for the bottom of the pie and one for garnishing the top)
- 2 ¼ cups milk (divided)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or banana flavoring)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or banana flavoring)
- Using a double boiler, heat 1 ¾ cup milk to boiling over medium heat.
- While the milk is heating, mix together the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour. Add the remaining ½ cup of milk and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the milk/sugar mixture into the hot milk, whisking as you drizzle it in.
- Cook, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken, then reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk them to break up the yolks.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of hot cream and add it to the eggs, whisking as you add it to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture into the hot cream. Whisk and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in the butter and vanilla. Stir well.
- Slice 2 bananas and arrange them in the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Pour the cream over the bananas into the pie crust. Smooth the top.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes, then cover the pie and refrigerate.
- Once the pie is cool, prepare the whipped cream.
- Use a high powered hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the cold cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie.
- Decorate the top of the pie with sliced bananas right before serving.
- Refrigerate until serving and refrigerate any leftovers.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.