Best Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Made entirely in the oven (no stove!), the rice in this recipe is outrageously delicious! It's buttery and garlicky, tender but not mushy. The secret tip is to briefly bake onion with garlic and butter before adding the rice, liquids and chicken - it adds a great flavour base!
Author: recipe tin eats.
- 5 chicken thigh fillets , bone in, skin OFF (Note 1)
- 1 onion , chopped (brown, white or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic (large) , minced
- 2 tbsp/ 30 g butter (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups / 270 g long grain white rice (Note 3)
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken broth/stock
- 1 1/4 cups / 312 ml water, hot (tap is fine)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves or finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15" / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the centre. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix.
- Place chicken on rice. Then pour chicken broth and water around the chicken.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, spray chicken with oil (optional), then bake for a further 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Garnish with parsley if desired, serve and enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.