A classic Christmas cookies that everyone loves! This homemade version is far better than what you'll find in the tins at the store during the holidays and this addition of decadent chocolate takes them to a whole new level of delicious! It's a crisp and tender, rich and buttery cookie and they're perfect for gifting.
Recipe from cookingclassy.
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (140g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract*
- 2 cups (283g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp milk
- Chocolate or candy melts, optional (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter, sugar and salt until combined.
- Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix until crumbly then add in milk (if needed add in another 1 - 2 tsp milk for a more pipe-able consistency, add as little as possible for less spreading though).
- Transfer to a 16-inch piping bag fitted with a large open star tip (I like the Ateco 826 or 827 here, smaller tips won't work as well for piping this thick batter).
- Pipe dough into rounds onto two ungreased baking sheets (if you normally have issues with cookies spreading chill them for 30 minutes on baking sheet before baking).
- Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven until golden brown on bottom, about 12 - 16 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- *For a funfetti flavor (which is dipped in white chocolate and covered with sprinkles) add 1/2 tsp almond extract in addition to the vanilla extract.
- If you'd like to dip in chocolate or white chocolate, melt 10 oz chopped chocolate, chocolate melts (I like Ghirardelli), or white chocolate melts in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power in 20 second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Dip half of cookies into chocolate let excess run off (while also brushing some off bottom across bowl) then transfer to a sheet of parchment paper. Immediately add sprinkles if using then let set.
- Nutrition does not include chocolate coating.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.