Chocolate Cream Pie
This chocolate cream pie recipe is going to be your go-to recipe for anything creamy, decadent and delicious in the form of a pie.
PREP TIME 45 minutes | COOK TIME 20 minutes | CHILL TIME 6 hours | TOTAL TIME 7 hours 5 minutes.
Author: a classic twist.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked (homemade or store-bought)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces fine-quality chocolate (I used a combination of unsweetened and bittersweet), melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
FOR THE CRUST:
- Bake your pie crust as directed by your recipe. Here's one of my favorite homemade recipe. Let the crust cool completely before filling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch salt, and egg yolks until combined. Gradually whisk in the milk into the mixture. Bring the mixture to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to simmer and whisk for an additional minute or until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Whisk in the chocolate, butter and vanilla extract. Cover the filling with a buttered wax paper and let cool completely about 2 hours.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared (and cooled) crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill pie for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream and sugar in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream on top of the pie. Serve immediately. Store leftover pies in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.