Perfect Chocolate Cream Pie
An easy and delicious chocolate cream pie based on a recipe from Michelle's Pies in Norwalk, CT. Cook time listed actually represents chill time.
Author: Cookie Madness
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 prebaked 9-inch pie shell
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional, but good!)
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips or chocolate shavings for garnish
- Off heat, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium size saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk and egg yolks. Place the mixture over medium heat, constantly whisking and scraping the sides of the pan until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
- Add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time. When all of the butter is mixed in, add the vanilla and chocolate extract (if using). Add the chocolate a little at a time, giving each addition of chocolate the chance to melt into the filling before adding more. Keep the mixture over the heat until the chocolate is smoothly melted and the cream thickens.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pie shell. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool and chill (Note: I like to let it cool at room temperature for about 40 minutes, first). When ready to serve, remove the pie from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
- Whip the cream and sweeten it with the powdered sugar. Stir in some vanilla. Spread or pipe whipped cream over the top.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.