Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad #saladeasy #recipevegan
Traditional broccoli salad is made better with the addition of crunchy almonds and sunflower seeds, tart cranberries and a creamy citrus poppyseed dressing!
Author: THE CHUNKY CHEF
- 4 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small florets about 2 heads of broccoli
- 5 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (reduced sugar would work too)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cut into very small cubes (or shredded if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup canola mayo (or regular full-fat mayo)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- zest of 1 small lemon
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- pinch of black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Chop broccoli into very small florets and set aside. Fill a large bowl with cold water and a cup of ice cubes.
- Add a generous pinch of salt to boiling water and add broccoli. Boil for 20 seconds. Drain broccoli and transfer to prepared bowl with ice water. Let broccoli sit in cold water for a few minutes, until cool. Drain and lay broccoli out onto some paper towels to drain. Allow to continue air drying while you prepare other parts of the recipe.
- To a small mixing bowl, add poppyseed dressing ingredients, then whisk together until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Add finely chopped red onion to a small bowl of cold water and let sit 5 minutes, then drain. This takes some of the "bite" out of the raw onion.
- To a large mixing bowl, add dried broccoli florets, bacon, drained raw onion, cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, and cheddar cheese. Toss with citrus poppyseed dressing (start with about half the dressing, and increase to your liking).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Toss and serve.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.